Temporary Financial Assistance
Through funding provided by the BRCC Educational Foundation, the SOAR Center provides temporary emergency financial assistance for BRCC students with identified need.
Preferred Eligibility Requirements
- Be actively enrolled and attending class
- 12 credit hours completed
- Earned at least a 2.0 GPA
- Demonstrate a clearly defined emergency or unexpected situation
- BRCC must be the applicant’s primary institution
- May not be on Financial Aid suspension
- May not owe money to any Virginia Community College
- Students enrolled in FastForward programs will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
Application for Assistance
Qualified applicants should submit the following documents to the SOAR office:
- Completed Temporary Emergency Financial Assistance Application Form – PDF (requires Acrobat Reader)
- Current BRCC transcript (unofficial)
- Copy of Financial Aid award
- Copies of any bills for which you are requesting assistance
Requests for assistance will be evaluated and approved by the Review Committee on a case-by-case basis. All decisions are final.
Applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision by phone or Email.
Student Outreach and Resource Center Mission
The Blue Ridge Community College Student Outreach and Resource Center (SOAR) has been developed in response to public need to assist students in making informed choices that will enable them to overcome obstacles that may impede their academic success and personal development.
Specifically, the Center’s mission is to:
- Provide temporary emergency financial assistance for students with identified need. Student requests and referrals will be evaluated and approved, by committee, on a case-by-case basis.
- Aid students in connecting with existing community service agencies and resources to strengthen their support network.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with community agencies to enhance student support services.
- Partner with BRCC Career Services to assist students re-entering the workforce in obtaining affordable education to update their job skills, and in marketing their existing skills to facilitate employment.
- Support students in balancing the demands of family and career, by providing practical information on day care choices, parenting skills, conflict resolution, time management and other topics of interest.
- Assist students in establishing and maintaining sound personal and family financial plans to assure greater economic stability.
How You Can Help: Please consider making a donation to BRCC’s Educational Foundation, earmarking contributions for BRCC Student Outreach & Resource Center.
Houff Student Center