Internet Privacy Statement
- applies only to pages on the www.brcc.edu website;
- does not apply to websites accessed from links on our site that may be controlled by a different agency or entity, whose practices are not under the College’s control;
- shall not be interpreted as a contract of any nature, either stated or implied;
- may be amended by the College at any time without notice.
We protect our records in accordance with our obligations as defined by applicable Virginia statutes, including, but not limited to, the “Government Data Collection and Dissemination Practices Act” Code of Virginia §2.2-3800 et seq., the “Virginia Freedom of Information Act” § 2.2-3700, et seq., and by any applicable U.S. federal laws.
Information We Collect, Including Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
The College endeavors to collect only the minimum amount of information needed to provide its services. All information is collected and stored by the college through third-party software.
Information We Collect Automatically
If you do nothing during your visit to the Blue Ridge Community College website but browse or download information, we automatically collect and store the following information about your visit:
- the Internet domain and IP address from which you accessed our site;
- the type of browser and operating system you used;
- the date and time you visited this site;
- the pages visited; and
- if you linked from another website, the address of that website.
“Cookies” are small files either stored on a server or sent back to a visiting computer. In certain applications user information is stored as “cookies,” which are then sent back to and stored on the user’s computer.
Cookies are used to aggregate site usage information to help us improve our users’ experience.
How We Use the Information We Collect
The information in our Web logs is not personally viewable and no attempt is made to link it with the individuals that browse our website.
We use usage information to:
- improve the content of our Web services
- help us understand how people are using our pages
- improve the value of the materials available on our site
We use routing information to:
- send requested Web pages to your computer for viewing
- assess content and server performance
- provide summaries with contracted vendors who provide analytics when needed
We may keep your information indefinitely, but we ordinarily delete routing information regularly after the Web page is transmitted. However, on rare occasions when a “hacker” attempts to breach computer security, logs of routing information are retained to permit a security investigation and in such cases may be forwarded together with any other relevant information in our possession to law enforcement agencies.
We do collect personal information directly from individuals who volunteer to complete forms or participate in surveys. Collecting personal information is necessary in order for the College to deliver the services requested. We only collect, retain, and use personal information where we believe it is essential to administer our business and to provide products, services and other opportunities requested by our customers.
Optional information is retained in accordance with the records retention schedules at the Library of Virginia.
Virginia Freedom of Information Act
Under the “Virginia Freedom of Information Act” (FOIA), any records in our possession at the time of a “Freedom of Information Request” might be subject to inspection by or disclosure to members of the public. However, identifiable personal information will be removed prior to such release in accordance with FOIA.
Customer Comments or Review
If you have questions about this privacy statement or the practices of this website, or if you choose to review or correct any information you previously submitted, please contact the Vice President of Finance and Administration.