English as a Second Language (ESL)
Our ESL classes
- prepare you for college level courses
- take one to two semesters, depending on your level of English
- are challenging, so that you will succeed in college
Beginning English speakers should first reach an intermediate level of ESL and often complete basic English courses at Massanutten Technical Center.
How do I know if I need to take an ESL class?
Talk with the ESL Coordinator:
Pamyla A. Yates
What ESL courses are offered?
- ESL 41 Writing (3 hours)
- ESL 42 Reading (3 hours)
- ESL 95 (2 hour support course with English 111)
- CST 100 Principles of Public Speaking (3 hours)
What are the ESL courses like?
BRCC ESL courses are academic. Teachers use authentic materials that help you gain the vocabulary you need for history, science, social sciences and humanities. All classes give you practice in writing, reading, oral presentation, and the first two levels continue to review grammar structures you may need.
What does ESL at BRCC cost?
Each hour of ESL is charged at the tuition credit rate depending on whether you are in-state or out of state.
Can I take other courses with ESL?
- Students in ESL 41/42 can take math classes, Student Development (SDV), and physical education.
- Students in ESL 95 can take any curricular courses as long as prerequisites are met.
Can I use Federal Financial Aid for ESL classes?
Yes, students can use Financial Aid for ESL classes as long as they meet all of the other requirements.