Students who believe that they have already met the learning outcomes of a course may contact an advisor or faculty member to seek credit for that course by taking a comprehensive examination if that course applies to the student’s current plan of study. See list below of credit-by-exam examples. Students seeking credit for a course not listed below can pursue Credit-by-Portfolio. Students may not petition for Institutional Credit-by-Examination for a particular course if they previously earned a grade (either for credit or audit – A, B, C, D, F, P+, P-, W, or X) in that course, either at BRCC or at another institution. Credit-by-exam may not transfer to another college or university. Students who intend to transfer should check with the transfer institution prior to registering for a Credit-by-Exam.
Steps to Petition for Credit-by-Examination
- The student will meet with an academic advisor or faculty member to discuss the credit-by-examination process and to complete the required online form.
- The academic advisor or faculty member submits the form to the appropriate academic dean, who approves or disapproves the request.
- If approved, the dean forwards the credit-by-examination request to the appropriate faculty member as needed.
- The faculty member subsequently contacts the student to arrange the date for the credit-by-examination.
- After the examination is administered, the faculty member indicates its results to the appropriate academic dean. Final approval will be considered by the Vice President of Instruction and Student Services.
- Student is notified via their VCCS email of the results.