What Faculty Expect of Students
Enrolling in classes at Blue Ridge Community College is a serious investment of money, time, and effort. To be successful, students must be aware of the challenges ahead of them and be willing and able to work toward meeting those challenges. Knowing what faculty expect helps students get the most out of the learning experience in the classroom and online.
Students should demonstrate:
1. Desire to learn
- Display a positive attitude by viewing each class as an opportunity to learn something new.
- Actively engage in gaining knowledge and skills from each class and online assignment.
- Structure time to make classes and studying a priority.
- Be responsible for your own success.
2. Responsibility for Learning
- Be engaged and active in class (face-to-face and virtual synchronous).
- Stay informed about course requirements.
- Develop effective study strategies.
- Use time and other resources wisely.
- Complete and submit assignments on time.
- Communicate with the instructor when you have questions.
- Give the instructor and fellow students your complete attention during class.
- Seek help in a timely manner.
- Do your own work, without compromise.
- Be honest in all communications, oral and written.
- Cite sources appropriately.
- Comply with the BRCC Honor Code.
- Respect diverse opinions, backgrounds, and life experiences of others.
- Show respect for instructors’ knowledge, experience, and education.
- Be punctual. Arrive on time and stay for the entire class.
- Be collegial in the classroom.
- Refrain from behaviors that may distract others.
- Communicate with instructors outside of class at appropriate times and places.
- Zoom etiquette for students
5. Appropriate Use of Technology
- During class, refrain from using personal electronic devices unless specifically authorized by the instructor.
- BRCC prohibits sharing your myBRCC login credentials with others.
- Instructions on how to download and install Zoom.
- If using BRCC’s computers, please read and comply with the computing policy.
- BRCC takes cyberstalking and cyberbullying seriously under Title IX. For more information or the form to file a complaint, students should go to BRCC’s Sexual Harassment page.