Human Services

This video is 100% funded by federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) awards AA-32183-18-55-A-51 and AA-30941-17-55-A-51 from the US Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration to the Virginia Community College System. Blue Ridge Community College was the recipient of $303, 583 as part of this initiative.

Career Options

Graduates may transfer to a 4-year school to work on a bachelor's degree in social work (B.S.W.) or go to work as paraprofessionals in service agencies for mental health, substance abuse, aging, corrections, etc.  Deciding between majoring in social work or psychology?  A B.S.W. allows you to work in the field as soon as you graduate whereas psychology practices generally require further studies beyond the 4-year degree.

Human Svc Assistants    Transfer Agreements

Program Options

About the Program


A series of internships with local agencies and institutions gives students practical field experience before they graduate.

Student Organization

Human Services students can provide information and referral services to other BRCC students through the Beyond the Blue student organization.