Federal Direct PLUS Loans for Parents
The U.S. Department of Education allows parents of dependent students to apply for the Federal Direct PLUS Loan, which is:
- borrowed in the parent’s name,
- subject to a credit decision, and
- not automatically deferred (although deferments are generally available upon request).
Before parents may apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan, the student must submit a FAFSA to determine grant eligibility and need.
How to Apply
Complete the steps below to apply for the Federal PLUS Loan (keep in mind that the items below will require the parent FSA ID, not the student FSA ID.
- Complete a FAFSA, together with the dependent student, for the relevant aid year if you have not already done so
- Apply online for the PLUS Loan
- Complete an electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN) – Once online sign in using your FSA ID and sign your Master Promissory Note.
- Complete BRCC’s Loan Request Form and submit to the Financial Aid Office.