The Blue Ridge Community College Student Outreach and Resource Center (SOAR) has been developed in response to public need to assist students in making informed choices that will enable them to overcome obstacles that may impede their academic success and personal development.
Specifically, the Center’s mission is to:
- Provide temporary emergency financial assistance for students with identified need. Student requests and referrals will be evaluated and approved, by committee, on a case-by-case basis.
- Aid students in connecting with existing community service agencies and resources to strengthen their support network.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with community agencies to enhance student support services.
- Partner with BRCC Career Services to assist students re-entering the workforce in obtaining affordable education to update their job skills, and in marketing their existing skills to facilitate employment.
- Support students in balancing the demands of family and career, by providing practical information on day care choices, parenting skills, conflict resolution, time management and other topics of interest.
- Assist students in establishing and maintaining sound personal and family financial plans to assure greater economic stability.