Online Tutoring (Smarthinking)
Online tutoring is available in a variety of subjects, including all math classes, accounting, chemistry, physics, anatomy and physiology, and economics. Tutoring options include:
- Writing Center – submit your papers for review. Feedback is typically provided within 24 hours.
- Drop In Tutoring – Live chat
- Scheduled Tutoring – Sessions by appointment
- Offline Questions – Responses are typically provided within 24 hours.
Tutoring in some subjects is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, while tutoring in other subjects is offered on a more limited schedule. See Hours of service by subject.
There are three different ways you can access Smarthinking.
- Log on and go into any course in Blackboard. On the left side of the screen, click "BRCC Smarthinking" to go directly into your Smarthinking account.
- If you are taking a math class and your professor uses MyMathLab or MyStatLab, you can contact Smarthinking’s math tutors by logging in to MyMathLab or MyStatLab. Click on your course, then click on a homework assignment. Next, click on a specific exercise. On the right side of the screen, click on the “Connect to a Tutor” button.
If your professors do not use Blackboard, MyMathlab, or MyStatLab, you can still access Smarthinking. Open a new browser window and log in at MYBRCC. Click “Blackboard” (If you skip clicking “Blackboard,” you will get an error message later on). Then click this link: BRCC Smarthinking Self-enroll Link. A webpage will ask you to self-enroll in a course called BRCC Online Tutoring. Click “Submit.”
After completing this process, you will be able to log in to Blackboard and go into a course called BRCC Online Tutoring. This will take you to Smarthinking.
Technology Requirements and Support
- Disable all popup blockers
- Smarthinking Student Handbook - PDF (requires Acrobat Reader)
You’ll find a complete list of requirements plus contact information for customer support on the Smarthinking site.