Career Development Process
- Who am I? (Assessment)
- Where am I going? (Occupational and Career Information)
- How do I get there? (Job Search Tools)
(Evaluate your abilities, interests, values and skills)
- FOCUS2 - Assessment, exploration, and decision making in one intuitive program. Call BRCC Career Services (453-2523) to obtain your free Access Code and get started.
- Keirsey Personality Test - Identify your personality type
- O*NET Online - Learn about careers that match your perceived skills
- Virginia Wizard - Use Virginia Wizard to help you find a career.
(Explore career pathways, possible occupations, and education and training opportunities)
America's Career InfoNet (ACINet) helps people make better, more informed career decisions. ACINet is ideal for job seekers, employers, human resource specialists and workforce development specialists.
Use this web site to:
- Learn about typical wages and employment trends across occupations and industries.
- Check education, knowledge, skills and abilities against requirements for most occupations.
- Search for employer contact information nationwide, cost of living data, and call up state profiles with labor market conditions.
- Find more than 4,000 external links to the most extensive set of career resources available on the Internet.
Occupational Outlook Handbook - Describes what workers do on the job, working conditions, training and education needed, earnings, and expected job prospects in a wide range of occupations; published by US Bureau of Labor Statistics
O*NET Online - The O*NET program is the nation's primary source of occupational information. Central to the project is the O*NET database, containing information on hundreds of standardized and occupation-specific descriptors. The database is continually updated by surveying a broad range of workers from each occupation. Information from this freely available database forms the heart of O*NET OnLine, the interactive application for exploring and searching occupations. The database also provides the basis for our Career Exploration Tools, a set of valuable assessment instruments for workers and students looking to find or change careers.
Peterson's Education and Career Center -Offers information about educational opportunities at all levels
Jobfully Blog - A blog for career changers.
State Occupational Projections -The Bureau of Labor Statistics researches projections of occupational employment growth for all States and the nation as a whole. One of the most important uses of the projections is to help individuals make informed career decisions. Information on this site allows projected employment growth for an occupation to be compared among States. It also allows projected employment growth among occupations to be compared within one State.
- New Job Search tools, resume builder and more!
- Employment information on wage data, skill requirements, as well as industry and occupational trends!
- Access to jobs posted on numerous websites at one location!
Virginia Health Careers is a fact-filled guidebook to over 90 different health careers. It does more than answer questions -- it sparks an interest in health careers. Its goal is to encourage students of all ages to choose careers in health care, and, ultimately, to practice in one of the state’s medically underserved areas. Every health career listed provides a clear, concise description of job responsibilities, work setting, entry level salary, and related professional associations. Also listed are Virginia schools and universities which provide the education and training required for each career.
Virginia VIEW (Vital Information for Education and Work) Access to career and educational information resources
Career Guide to JMU Majors -Explores relationship of academic majors at James Madison University to career choices. Great source of information for students regardless of what college you attend or plan to attend.
CollegeNet - Search colleges, financial aid, scholarships, bookstores, magazines, academic resources; apply on-line; take virtual reality campus tour
Major to Career Converter (Monstertrak.com) -A highly useful tool for a listing of career opportunities reflecting a wide variety of academic majors and career interests. Just scroll and click!
(Search for a job)
- Glassdoor - An inside look at jobs and companies
- Job Accommodation Network - The Job Accommodation Network is an international, toll-free consulting service that provides information about job accommodations and the employability of people with disabilities.
- JobHuntersBible.com - The Net Guide companion to the wonderful book, What Color is Your Parachute.
- Lindsey Pollak - Are you a student or recent grad seeking cutting-edge career and job search advice? Lindsey Pollak is a bestselling author, corporate consultant and nationally recognized expert on next generation career trends. Often called a “translator” between the generations, she has over a decade of experience advising both young professionals and organizations on the changing world of work.
- Riley Guide - Fantastic job search resource with many specialty links; incorporate the Internet into your job search
- Law Enforcement - National job listings
- Quintessential Careers - Tool Kit for the Job Search
- USAJOBS is the official job site of the United States Federal Government. It is your one-stop source for federal jobs and information on applying to federal jobs.