Criminal Justice Research Guide
Online Reference Sources
The first place to begin your research
- Onelook Dictionaries - indexes 736 online dictionaries
- Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary - red audio icons next to an entry word can be clicked to hear the word pronounced by a real voice. Multiple icons will be displayed when variant pronunciations are available. Be sure to have your computer speaker turned on.
- Visual Thesaurus
- Columbia EncyclopediaDeath Penalty Information Center
- Encyclopedia of Psychology
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- American Law Sources On-line
- Bureau of Justice Statistics
- FBI's Uniform Crime Report
- Kids Count
- National Center for Victims
- Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics Online
- State and County Quickfacts
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
- U.S. Census Quick Stats
- U.S. Historical Census Data Browser
- Violence Against Women Statistics
- World Almanac (VIVA-FirstSearch)
- Aneki.com - country information, regional and world rankings
- CIA World Factbook
- Country and Regional Data
- Country Studies - Library of Congress
- Country Watch
- US Department of State Country Background Notes
- World Almanac (VIVA-FirstSearch)
Government and Law
- ProQuest Congressional
- ATF: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
- Department of Justice
- FBI - also contains the FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin and the Uniform Crime Reports
- US Drug Enforcement Administration
- US Government Manual
- GPO Access
- FirstGov (Your first click to the U.S. Government)
- Famous Trials - each trial contains chronology, maps, images, accounts, key figures, biographies, etc.
- Office on Violence Against Women
- Code of Federal Regulations
- Congressional Universe
- Federal Register
- FindLaw Constitutional Law Center
- Supreme Court Decisions
- Cornell Law School Legal Information Institute
- Thomas: legislative information in the Internet
- United States Code
Books and Print Resources
No limit on how many books you can check out at one time. Our checkout period is four weeks. Library cards are free at the Circulation Desk.
Quick Book Search
Resources for locating books from other libraries.
- WorldCat- this is a worldwide catalog of over one billion items held in more than 10,000 libraries.
- James Madison University
- University of Virginia Law School
If you find a title you would like, use the Library's Interlibrary Loan service.
Periodical Indexes (Magazines, Journals & Newspapers)
Print articles from actual magazines, journals and newspapers. For free.
Indexes Containing Full-Text Articles be sure and follow all the steps on our Remote Access Directions page to be able to access these databases from your home computer
- Academic Search Complete - general database.
- Criminal Justice Collection - contains articles from many justice reference titles
- EBSCOhost -- - search up to all 36 EBSCO databases at once plus your MLA and APA citations are done for you.
- Factiva - provides articles from many national and international magazines, journals, newspapers, and newswires. Great for an international viewpoint.
- Issues and Controversies (Facts on File)
- JSTOR database that is unique because the complete archives of core scholarly journals have been digitized, starting with the very first issues, many of which date from the 1800s.
- National Criminal Justice Reference Center
- Opposing Viewpoints - gives you both sides of an issue - the only way to really know your issue.
- PsycINFO -PsycINFO, from the American Psychological Association (APA), contains more than 2 million citations and summaries of scholarly journal articles, book chapters, books, and dissertations, all in psychology and related disciplines, dating as far back as the 1800s. 97% of the covered material is peer-reviewed. Journal coverage, which spans 1887 to present, includes international material selected from nearly 2,000 periodicals in more than 25 languages.
- PsycARTICLES - PsycARTICLES is a definitive source of searchable full-text, peer-reviewed scholarly and scientific articles in psychology. The database contains more than 40,000 articles from 53 journals - 45 published by the American Psychological Association (APA) and 8 from allied organizations. It includes all journal articles, letters to the editor and errata from each journal. Coverage spans 1894 to present.
- Sociological Abstracts
- Wiley Online Library - over 3 million articles across 1400 journals
Print Periodicals on Criminal Justice that Houff Library subscribes to and you can check out
- American Journal of Sociology
- American Psychologist
- American Sociology Review
- Arrest Law Bulletin
- Behavior Therapy
- FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin
- Harvard Mental Health Letter
- Journal of Criminal Justice Education
- Law Enforcement Technology
- Police Chief - we now have online
- Search & Seizure Bulletin
- Social Problems
- Sociological Quarterly
you can surf the Net well, but here's how to evaluate what you find:
Web Site Evaluation Information - four questions you should ask yourself before using any website.
help in creating MLA and APA citations for your bibliography:
- Citation Builder (MLA, APA, Scientific Style) **Shenandoah Valley Governor School conducted a research study on our online citation builders and determined that the Citation Builder was the one most error free.***
- Citation Machine (MLA, APA, Chicago, Turabian)
- EasyBib (MLA)
- Knight Cite - MLA, APA, Chicago)
- Noodle Tools (MLA)
- University of North Carolina University Library (MLA, APA)
- UTEL MLA-Style Bibliography Builder 1.0b (MLA)
- Official APA website
- APA Cheat Sheets