FWS America Reads – America Counts
The America Reads Challenge was established as a way to ensure that all children become successful readers. To further this effort, colleges and universities were encouraged to provide opportunities for work study students to serve as reading tutors to elementary school children. Building on the success of America Reads, the America Counts Challenge was established to provide tutoring assistance in mathematics to children in pre-k through 8th grade.
The aim of the America Reads initiative is to ensure that students are reading by the time they leave the third grade. This program was designed specifically to fund tutoring positions for pre-school and elementary school children and their families. In addition, the America Counts program provides similar positions for math tutors for elementary and middle school-age children. Such positions can be developed in private non-profit agencies (family literacy agencies, daycare centers), public agencies (such as libraries and Head Start programs), and in the local public schools.
If you are interested in this type of position you must have a Federal Work-Study award as a result of applying for financial aid. In addition to the general requirements for Federal Work Study, America Reads/America Counts tutors must have at least a 2.0 grade point average and demonstrate proficiency in reading and math respectively.
Additional Skills Required
Reading Tutor Position
Desire to work with young children in an elementary school setting is preferred. Preference will be given to those applicants meeting one or more of the following criteria.
- Scored a minimum of an 81 on the Reading Comprehension part of the College Preparedness Test; or
- SAT Verbal Score of 530 or higher; or
- ACT Verbal Score of 20 of higher; or
- Have successfully completed the English 05 Reading Improvement II course.
Math Tutor Position
Desire to work with young children in an elementary or middle school setting is preferred. Preference will be given to those applicants meeting one of more of the following criteria.
- Scored a minimum of an 44 on the Elementary Algebra II part of the College Preparedness Test; or
- SAT Math Score of 520 or higher; or
- ACT Quantitative Score of 20 of higher; or
- Have successfully completed the Math 04 Basic Algebra II course.
To view available America Reads and America Counts positions visit our job listings.