Nursing Care Partner Program Fact Sheet
Nursing Care Partners are unlicensed staff members trained to work in the Sentara Healthcare System. Nursing Care Partners combine quality of caring with technical interventions, communication, and knowledge integration to support the nurse in the delivery of client care in an acute care setting. They help patients with daily living activities such as bathing and eating; take vital signs; draw blood specimens; assist in wound care and dressing changes; insert urinary catheters; perform EKGs; and other selected medical test/procedures.
Schedule and Program Fee
Nine-week program (105 hours classroom/lab instruction, plus 90 clinical hours)
Meets: Mondays–Thursdays, Feb 16-Mar 19, 7:45 am to 3 pm (with 75-minute lunch break); BRCC Room A106; AND Mar 23-Apr 17 (90-hour clinical, M, T and Th; evening shift)
Nursing Care Partners are in demand within Sentara Healthcare System. Starting salary for a Nursing Care Partner is approximately $11/hour.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Access to computer and Internet
- Place into (or above) English Fundamentals (ENF)-2 OR English as a Second Language (ESL)-42 on the Virginia Placement Test (VPT) for English.
- Submission of required documentation
To take the VPT
- Apply for admission to Blue Ridge Community College.
- Call the BRCC Testing Center (540/453-2250), for current information on dates/times available for placement testing.
- Report to the BRCC Testing Center, F110. You will need your photo ID, as well as the EMPLID and student Gmail address you received upon completing your admissions application.
- Bring your printed score report to the Plecker Workforce Center when you are ready to register and pay for the program.
Documentation Required for Admission*
- American Heart Association BLS certification for Healthcare Providers
- Drug and urine screening
- Criminal background check
- Current physical exam with TB test; current immunizations, including flu shot (and other tests as required by the externship site)
- Professional liability insurance
- Signed assumption of risk form
- Signed statement of understanding form
- Current resume
*Students must complete and submit documentation within 21 days of the class start date. Failure to meet this deadline will result in dismissal from the program without a refund.
Instructional Materials and References
(Textbooks are available at BRCC Bookstore)
- Sorrentino, S., Assisting With Patient Care, 2nd edition. Mosby
- Goreck, B., Assisting With Patient Care Workbook, 2nd edition. Mosby
A Certificate of Completion will be awarded after successful completion of the program.