Blue Ridge is a two-year, non-residential, commuter college. We welcome applications from qualified international students who meet our academic, financial, and language requirements.
- International students are classified as out-of-state students for tuition payment purposes.
- Students with DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) approval are eligible for in-state tuition.
- Financial Aid is not available to international students.
- Funds must be readily available for tuition payment at time of registration.
- F-1 students are not permitted to enroll in either the Nursing or Veterinary Technician Programs due to domicile restrictions.
- College policies and procedures apply equally to all students regardless of immigration status.
Admission Requirements for International Students
Our Admissions and Records Office complies fully with federal law and regulations regarding admission of non-immigrant students.
Deadlines for Application Materials
- April 1: fall semester enrollment
- October 1: spring semester enrollment
The following documents must be received by the admissions deadline before your admissions request can be processed and a form I-20 for the F-1 Visa issued:
- Completed BRCC Application for Admission Form
- A completed Supplemental Form for I -20 application
- A letter mailed directly to BRCC from an approved credentialing service stating you have the equivalent of an American high school diploma, regardless of your country of origin. To find an approved credentialing agency, please visit the National Association of Credentials Evaluation Services website.
- An evaluation of foreign transcripts, if you wish to apply any classes to your program at BRCC. Submit your official foreign transcript to an approved credentialing service. Request a course-by-course evaluation of the transcript and instruct the evaluation agency to mail an official report directly to BRCC. Do not send or bring foreign transcripts directly to Admissions and Records Office.
- Official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores, with a minimum score of 550 paper-based. or a minimum score of 213 computer-based. or a minimum score of 80 Internet-based as a requirement. Please request that your official scores be sent directly to Blue Ridge Community College. Our CEEB code is 5083. Testing may not be more than two years old. For more information contact: TOEFL/TSE Testing Program
- Verification of financial support sufficient to enroll as a full-time student without the need to work off campus. We require the minimum amount of $18,785.00 for a single international student per academic year of nine months. This does not include transportation costs. (Please complete the Declaration/Certification of Finances Form and return along with all appropriate verifying documents). This information needs to be in English and $US. It is important that monies be readily available to students at time of registration. Make copies of this information for entry into the United States.
International students who receive a form I-20 must:
- Complete the College Placement Tests for English and mathematics.
- Complete at least 12 credit hours each semester with a satisfactory grade.
- Be accepted into a program of study at the college.
- File a copy of Passport and I-94 Card with expiration date, (if applicable) with the Admissions and Records Office.
- Must have BRCC's Designated School Official (DSO) sign your form I-20 two (2) weeks in advance of traveling outside the United States. Student must be in good standing. This must be completed to allow reentry.
International Student Application Packet Information & Forms
PDF forms require Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Prospective International Student Letter - PDF
- Checklist for F-1 Students - PDF
- F-1 Process Flowchart - PDF
- Nonimmigrants: Who Can Study? - PDF
- Financial Information for International Students Form - PDF
- Maintaining F-1 Status Form - PDF
- Supplemental Form for I-20 Application - PDF
- Transfer Request Form - PDF (Students transferring from another U.S. college or university will need to complete the top portion of the Transfer Clearance Report and give it to the DSO at your current institution for completion and forwarding to BRCC.)